Skip to main content

Stones in Road. Pebbles in my Shoe. Stand Up or Follow Despair



Have you ever found yourself in a precarious position betwixt the devil and the deep blue sea.  Often it is when our values and what we want are crossroads.  The key is how to do battle with the angel and demons in our lives.

Sticks and Stone may break your bones but the giant of despair cannot hurt you.  I adapted this childhood rhyme to introduce and aspect that can break the best of us.  Second to that is the pebble in our show, the annoyance that won’t go away. The reason for these two notable topics is because they resonate two distinctive challenges I have been facing while developing business ideas this last semester.  I believe that knowing and understanding these two key challenges it will help me to find meaningful ways to embrace and over come them.

I found solace in a great, simple to the point read.  It is my sword and buckler in those moments, not just as an entrepreneur but as a human I face difficulties.  May I resoundingly recommend, "A Field Guide for the Hero's Journey."  This guide, is inspirational, practical and no nonsense in its writing format.  As I have traveled on this entrepreneurial journey, finding inspiration and motivation can be challenging, however, having a field guide helped resolve and dissipate my experiences with great coping skills that build character.

As with personal growth and opportunities to build a life of meaning there comes a time when the dark valleys that have no light will envelop us.   For an entrepreneur they are not immune to such confrontations.  It is in these times and places perhaps finding a higher power to illuminate the dark path is what can give aid and courage to the journey.   Despite the sublime darkness we have to illuminate and find light.  For those who have suffered real darkness, those of the time during the holocaust we can find comfort in their darkest hours.   “I believe in the sun even when it is not shining.

I believe in love even when I do not feel it.”  Certainly this kind of mantra and affirmation will create a beam of home in those moments of despair.  Also a strategy I have found comfort in was discovered when I interviewed a colleague who said when there is an impasse, close the door and look for another, if the door is not found then make one yourself.  It seems counter intuitive to take such action, however for an entrepreneur looking for opportunities, it makes logical and out of the box thinking.  These strategies will help me stay close to my stars and live my dream and stay on course with my goals and not get bogged down in the darkest mists.

A rather different and off topic but wholly related is that moment when you find the pebble in your shoe or a rock, boulder on the road toward your goals.  As a budding entrepreneur it can be difficult to navigate through such challenges or evening knowing what to do in the heat of the moment.  My friend David Frank was correct in his vision on how he saw problems.  Either we can find another door or see challenges/problems as opportunities AKA another door.  Often, I find myself being defeatist when problems come along.  This s not a healthy attitude or perspective to have as an entrepreneur.  A little pain in the moment can be stripped back to its basic core relevance and then turned over into a moment where my character grows.  It’s the journey not the goal that matters.  Either I can let such moments define me to achieve something greater or fester at the side of the road complaining.

Transformation is much easier than feeling bad for oneself amidst building a business.  Attitude gives one to move above the noise of challenges and see opportunities in their truest form.  Taking the time to work hard and endure is the test of your metal.  Letting go prematurely is not an option otherwise those opportunities may be loss which bear fruits of greatness.

No longer will I walk through the valley of the shadow of death (life) and fear. I know that there can be light and it is the light of meaning and character that I bring with me as I journey.  These elements can be my greatest weaknesses in becoming an entrepreneur.  As I cultivate new attitudes about them, I can show others what has meaning in my life and give the greatest gift.  The gift of understanding and tools to which they will be refined into a master of their destiny.





Comments

Popular Thought Provocation

Unsung Exraordinary Hero - It's never to late to find your purpose and live your dreams

Ageism, what is it anyway?  I had not heard that term until recently.  I would have to say that age is not a criteria for being an Unsung Hero. In fact there is no age limit to heroism.  We all can step through the door and create a life of meaning regardless of our age, status, education or creed.  You are never to old to make a difference now.  We all can learn from each other.   Let me introduce our shooting star and unsung hero Garrett Hardy, who defies ageism, with heart, intellect, drive and passion  is hot on the trail of manifesting his life's purpose. Garrett's innovative problems solving thought process, with the culmination of a dynamic team are on the path to solve a serious problem.  This change is critical to the landscape and climate of Mental Health Awareness and care. With limited resources available for mental wellness something has to be done.   The system of care is expensive and slow, leaving loved ones to suffer in silence. People innately want to help o

Unsung Extraordinary Hero - Glenn Marsden putting life and heart into Mental Health

The definition of a HERO based on author, J eff Sanderfer is someone who shapes events, who acts rather than watches, who is creative and brave."(1). When I think of an Unsung Extraordinary Hero, I think of the creator and director behind the highly acclaimed Imperfectly Perfect Campaign. This man epitomizes  action, shaping culture - social values, creativity and innovation in his approach to put life and heart into Mental Health. As I sit pensively waiting for that moment to connect with none other than Yorkshire born, Glenn Marsden, I explore the world of Imperfectly Perfect Campaign.org.  When you launch the web  page, o ne is immediately intrigued by the stories and pictures that resonate a truth.   Instantly you see unfiltered real photographs of influential public figures. The faces bear the grief and hardship of mental illness. These people live amongst us with voices that are neither yelling or screaming but talking, rather frankly and poignantly about their battle. We ar

Unsung Extraordinary Hero - A Journey to Fulfilling a Calling to Be a Voice

In the wake of current life situations with COVID-19 Pandemic the word HERO only synonymous with comic books has become a household word. We are in a time and place where we desperately need the visibility and creation of heros, heroines, people who are heroic.  From a college course book in one of my business classes, the definition in this time and space is certainly appropriate. In the introduction, Jeff Sanderfer said, " heroic people - people who shape events, who act rather than watch, who are creative and brave."(1.) This is a moment to ask yourself the hard questions that often we ignore or pass over.  What is the journey or path to becoming a #HERO.  Is it at the root of what we have done most of our life, or did we receive an experience due to external influences or was there a singular internal event that changes our lives.   Perhaps it is best described as a calling or as I read recently a VOCATION, which in latin VOCARE means "to call." Did you come to